Number the Stars: As the German troops begin their campaign to “relocate” all the Jews of Denmark, Annemarie Johansen’s family takes in Annemarie’s best friend, Ellen Rosen, and conceals her as part of the family.
Through the eyes of ten-year-old Annemarie, we watch as the Danish Resistance smuggles almost the entire Jewish population of Denmark, nearly seven thousand people, across the sea to Sweden. The heroism of an entire nation reminds us that there was pride and human decency in the world even during a time of terror and war.
Winner of the 1990 Newbery Medal.
Be sure to ask you child/children what they think of the book, and to summarize what we’ve read of the book each day.
Some of the learning objectives (or WALT as we refer to them in Grade 4; We Are Learning To) that we will cover while reading are:
- Describe the characters’ traits, feelings, and motivations in Number the Stars.
- Refer to the text for evidence to support answers.
- Form an opinion about a character’s trait based on the character’s actions, feelings and motivation.
- Explain how the characters’ actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- Engage in discussions sharing their ideas and listening to others.
- Use context clues to determine the meaning of unknown words or phrases in Number the Stars.
- Distinguish literal and non-literal language and determine its meaning.
- Gain information about the past.
- Build upon their background knowledge of World War II.
- Explore themes of friendship and bravery during the times that scare us the most.
English: – Replace confusing pronouns with nouns. Combine sentences by making one sentence a main clause and one a subordinate clause.
– Use I and me correctly.
– Identify possessive pronouns in sentences.
– Substitute possessive pronouns for possessive nouns.
Vocabulary: – There will be no spelling or vocabulary test this week.
Math: – Identify, describe, and classify angles.
– Mid-Chapter Check
– Identify, describe, and classify triangles.
– Identify, describe, and classify quadrilaterals.
Science: – Describe the sun, other stars, and groups of stars.
– Identify groups of stars.
– FBCS’s Science Fair
Social Studies: – Identify major events and battles of WWII.
Bible: – Study Bible verse for Friday. Parents, please encourage your child to study their Bible verse every week. These do impact their Bible grades.
– Explain how to worship and praise God with words and music.
– Describe how to glorify God through thoughts and actions.
“Jesus is not here; He has risen, just as He said.” Matthew 28:6
MATH: Homework Practice page 67
READING: Write paragraph for book report
ENGLISH: page 102
READING: Book Report Preparation
MATH: Homework Practice page 68
ENGLISH: page 104