A book is a magical thing that lets you travel to far-away places without ever leaving your chair.
~ Katrina Mayer
Welcome to the story of Despereaux Tilling, a mouse who is in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of a rat called Roscuro, who lives in the darkness and covets a world filled with light. And it is the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-witted serving girl who harbors a simple, impossible wish. These three characters are about to embark on a journey that will lead them down into a horrible dungeon,up into a glittering castle, and, ultimately, into each other’s lives. What happens then? As Kate DiCamillo would say: Reader, it is your destiny to find out.
Here are Some Examples of Common Core Standards Covered in this Unit:
★Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
★Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
★Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
★Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
★Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text
★Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author
wants to answer, explain, or describe.
Here are Some Examples of Comprehension Strategies Covered
in this Unit:
- ★ Text-to-Self Connections
- ★ Visualizing
- ★ Inferring
- ★ Predicting
- ★ Cause and Effect
- ★ Vocabulary
- ★ Defining Character Traits
- ★ Using Schema
- ★ Asking Questions/Wondering
- ★ Using Text Evidence
- ★ Compare and Contrast
- ★ Changing Mental Images
- ★ Taking a Character’s Perspective
- ★ Answering Comprehension Questions
- ★ Change over Time
- ★ Identifying Story Elements
English:- Persuasive writing – Elf for Hire
Vocabulary: – Study and review Spelling-Mania words for our test on Friday. (Words were sent home last week.)
Math: – Multiply a two-digit number by a one-digit number.
– Multiply a two-digit number by a one-digit number.
– Multiply a multi-number by a one-digit number.
NOTE: There will be a Chapter 4 math test on Monday.
Science: – Name the basic needs of living things.
– Explain how adaptations help living things meet their needs.
Social Studies: – Living in the Caribbean Round-Up
– Answer questions about Christmas in Australia and provide text evidence.
Bible: – Study Bible verse for Friday. Parents, please encourage your child to study their Bible verse every week. These do impact their Bible grades.
– Apply the practice of thanksgiving through prayer and appreciating others.
– Describe what you have learned about prayers and thanksgiving.
READING: Read for at least 40 minutes
SPELLING: Study for Spelling-Mania
MATH: Workbook page 245-246 (Fire Crackers 1-4, 10, 13)